This last week has been an exciting time. I haven't had a seizure for a whole year! Praise the Lord! It is a wonderful blessing to have gone this long. Now to start counting down until next year.
I've never said much about my epilepsy. I was 18 and a freshman in college. A very hard time to be told all the things you can't do anymore. I had to be seizure free for 6 months before I could drive. I didn't drive for over a year. I spent that time being driven around by my mom. It was hard, but she never complained.
When the test results came back, the doctors told us that they had never seen a scan that bad. Quite impressive right? Then they started the medication. It was a long time until they figured out exactly what would work for me. The side effects were pretty bad. I turned into a not so nice person. I was mean and a real grouch. Finally my parents had me talk to our pastor. Basically I had to pick myself up and grow up. It wasn't easy at first, but with God's help my family and I have made it through it.
The hardest part is knowing that I'll never be the same person I used to be. Epilepsy has changed everything for me. My first date with my boyfriend, who's now my husband, I had to tell him about it. He handled it so well. It didn't change anything for him. My friends from college were the same way. I was blessed to have people around me who didn't treat as someone who was weird or a freak. It was hardest telling my bosses and teachers. They showed much more concern and asked a lot of questions.
There's much more to this story that I'll have to tell later. I had many hard times, and I had many good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment